Who am I? The person or the avatar?

Which personality is more genuine-- the quiet and goofy Dylan or the also goofy , but a bit more outspoken Pickles? I don't know.

While you typically hear people utter the phrases "keyboard warrior" and "you wouldn't say that in real life", I believe the real life persona is more genuine than online personas. Most people are completely different online and offline, but I'm inclined to say that the online persona, if coming in form of a troll or related role, is is a manifestation of frustration or stress in one's life rather than their "true colors". I have experience with this as I spent many years on an online forum meant for off topic discussion (so the topics varied widely and this allowed for more instances of trolls) and saw many trolls that I eventually got to know later down the road. What I found was that they were often times nice people, but had serious stress in their life such as mental illness or abusive homes.
My ROBLOX avatar from when I was younger
This isn't an excuse for their actions, but it's what I believe is true. I've spent much of my life on the internet while also maintaining an at least somewhat existent social life, and while I don't think I'm much different online or offline, I believe myself and most others are true to themselves offline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dogglegängers & Doubles

Cucumbers are like people

Anastasia and Doubles